Rogz for Dogz Obedience Half-check Collar Review

1 comment
Like I mentioned in my previous post, some people enjoy collecting certain things. Well I recently restarted training Tobi and myself during walks and at home. Tobi had two 'problems' which both spelled trouble when I let him loose at the dog park. He wouldn't always come as called and would lead the walk instead of walking with me. This behaviour resulted in him running off at the dog park (the one we go to isn't closed off with fences) with other people and their dogs or joggers. This then lead to me having to chase him and get super frustrated which in return only made things worse.

An online friend recommended I restarted all the basics from sit to heel and start using a different tool for walks. I now seem like the crazy lady who randomly changes directions in the middle of the street and has that weird clicker but it's been helping! I have disregarded the harnesses and flexi leashes for now and ordered a semi slip/ martingale collar with a matching 140cm leash. It's such a simple tool and when used correctly can make a huge difference.



There aren't many brands that make martingale collars like this in Tobi's size. Here in Holland I've seen loads of full on choke chains and such in either huge sizes or just terrible quality. I searched online and found Rogz for dogs which I've known in the past. I used to buy their plastic ID tags and cat collars for my cats. So, let's get into the details!

I chose for their medium sized half-check obedience collar (26cm - 40cm / 1.6cm wide) and Snake leash in 140cm/ 1.6cm wide. If it were up to me I would have ordered three colours but for now I settled with the turquoise. (I still want to order the orange and brown collars for sure!)



Rogz for dogs Obedience Half-check Collar: snake, size medium. 8.95 euros 

The collar might seem on the large side but it's supposed to be a loose fit. When you correct your dog with a collar like this the movement is supposed to be swift, like a pop and release. With a half-collar the dog isn't necessarily choked like with other chokers. Usually it isn't recommended to use any kind of correction collar for brachycephalic dogs but with a half check measured, fitted and used correctly it shouldn't cause any harm to the animal.

The nylon is tightly woven and the added reflecting stitches are a great addition. I live in a bust city centre and not everybody sees a toy dog walking right next to them. I haven't seen any rubs of chaffs on tobi and the chain doesn't snag either. The collar stays on nicely and doesn't get dirty as easily as his previous collar, even after swimming and playing rough with other dogs!

Before stopping with his puppia harness and zee.dog harness i practiced with his regular collar so he could get used to the idea of being corrected differently. I've had this collar for just about 3-4 days now and Tobi is walking so much nicer! He understands that if he tries to pull and/ or lead it won't be super comfortable. When he walks by my side everything remains slack which works as a reward for the dog. For the next few weeks i'll praise him when he understands the correction with the aid of a clicker and some treats, just so he really understands the idea.




Rogz for dogs Utility Snake Belt: size medium. 8.50 euros. 

The leash is a bit longer than my two previous ones but since I started walking differently it's actually been perfect. I make Tobi walk on my left side and I hold the leash in both hands. My left hand is the correcting and and my right hand just holds the rest of the leash so it doesn't drag on the ground. The leash is sturdy and just like the collar has reflective stitching.

I got both the leash and the collar from www.beestenspul.nl. I believe I ordered on a Monday and received my order on Wednesday, which was super fast! I could have ordered a day earlier but I couldn't decide on the colour (whoops!). I definitely will order more colours in the future and actually hope to see patterns like Red Dingo and Zee.Dog make them!



Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Article. This is a great information on Dog Training Collars. I don't think that I have read such an amazing writing/blog before. Keep up the good work. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.